Morels are ugly suckers, but yummy
Morel Mushroom Poisonings Up in Montana, Idaho
Morel mushroom poisonings have recently increased in Idaho and Montana, according to the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center.
The Center wants us all to know that it’s dangerous to eat raw, dried, or partially cooked morels, and it’s also unsafe to drink wine or other alcohol with any morels, cooked or not.
Morel poisoning causes impressive, repeated vomiting, usually right after you eat those bad boys.
From the Center’s press release, it’s easy to tell that this is more than a dodgy situation – it’s serious.
Do not drink and eat morels, cook them to death, and reject the dried kind.
“Impressive vomiting” is enough for me.
The family I grew up in was very particular about how a slice of a round cake was to lie on a plate. It was supposed to be positioned so that you could eat it from the inside out and from the bottom up. For all of us right-handers, this meant the frosting had to be to the left. A piece of cake with the frosting on the right was said to be “flopped wrong.”
This attention to direction has come to mind recently, as the citizens of Sandpoint have debated about whether the fish on their newly installed Sand Creek arch are flopped correctly. I thought the shiny metal back sides of the signs would all be on one side of the arch, so we would have shiny metal fish on one side and colorful fish on the other. Instead, the fish appear to have been more randomly flopped.